Saturday, July 18, 2009

Chocolate Chestnut Torte

My friend Lynn of Jardins des Thevenet, is a brilliant cook. She created this rich, delectable torte one night as an end to a unbelievably delicious dinner. She manage to whip up dinner for 12, within 2 hours. The menu began with Skate enveloped in Cream and Capers on Garlic Pureed Potatoes followed by the main course Duck Braised in Vinegar and Stock served atop Fresh Pasta.
The dessert, a Chocolate Chestnut Torte on a bed of Yogurt flavored with Chestnut Puree finished the meal. We sat around the table enjoying coffee and conversation until the wee hours.
It was no easy feat getting together all the essential items for this tart. Lynn used a heart shaped silicone mini cake pan.
Creme des Marrons, which can be found on Amazon, but I had the good fortune to have my friend Uju bring me several cans from Paris.
Everything else I had in my pantry. Once I had all the ingredients it was a 10 minute process to put this torte together.
I had fresh raspberries in the refrigerator so I pureed them with a little sugar and lemon juice. I think Framboise with be a delightful addition. Alcohol always bring out the flavor of fruit.
This is a simple dessert that packs a wallop of flavor and perfect for those times you want to WOW you guests.

Chocolate Chestnut Torte

1/3 cup good quality dark chocolate, I used Scharffenberger Dark Chocolate
1/2 cup salted butter
2/3 cup or Creme de Marrons
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt, chocolate and butter together in a medium size saucepan. Stir until smooth. Off the heat heat, stir in the chestnut puree. Add the eggs one at a time stirring until they are fully incorporated.
Pour into silicone molds, Fill about 1/2 up and bake until firm, about 20 minutes.
Makes 9 tortes
Serve with plain yogurt flavored with Creme de Marrons. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Or raspberry puree made with 1 pint raspberries, pureed with 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice. Add 1 tablespoon Framboise or Kirshwasser
The only problem is the family member that doesn't want to wait for these tortes to cool.
Join me at Jardins des Thevenets on a cooking holiday, where we will make this tart as well as many other wonderful dishes.


All recipes and text are property of The Gypsy Chef

7 comments:

  1. Lucky you to have such an inspiring friend! The duck looks amazing, as do the tortes! I've never heard of creme de marrons but now I must try it. I love the new banner --did you make those macarons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The duck was amazing. I'll be posting it soon. The macaroons came from a Pastiserie in Vichy. However, I bought everything I need to try and make them. Thanks, Bought Macaroons in your home town today at La Boulange on Pine St. I died over the Ganache Tart.
    Glad you like the new banner. It makes me happy just looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those macarons. There's a Boulange on Cole St, 5 minutes from my house, which makes getting those little gems all too convenient. This is both good and bad... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam, is it Pam?! Thanks for visiting my blog and nice to meet u. Are u a chef or a flight attendant? However, you have a very nice blog. I'll try to go through all of them slow..ly, ha ha! I'm really greedy. I've a list of recipes waiting for me, yet I'm still looking for some more! Never reject a good one, righ?! Just keep on looking...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is Pam, and yes I'm a flight attendant and a chef. I do a little catering and teach cooking.
    Thanks, you also have a nice blog. I'm a little greedy myself. The search for good recipes never ends. I'll be watching your posts, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how fabulous! Hazelnut and chocolate are a match made in heaven... and raspberries. Well, I just love those :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The meal looks delicious but the torte is calling my name - yum!

    ReplyDelete