Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Roasted Tomato and Spinach Farfalle or Katy a la Farfalle

Tonight I decided to make a dinner for my daughter. Yesterday I made The Pioneer Woman's famous Steak Sandwich for my son. Cowboy food she called it, my son said "Yee Haw" which sounded sort of strange with his New York accent. My daughter had turned her nose up, she hates steak and onions. My son is still singing it's praises. Tonight it was her turn, I would make my daughter a dinner she would appreciate. I knew she would like a nice veggie pasta. She loves my oven roasted tomatoes, so I wanted to include those in the dish. As I walked through the grocery I designed the dish. I chopped garlic and cooked it in olive oil with a pinch of the Greek oregano Nick and Debbie had given me. I threw in some oven roasted tomatoes, gave it a quick stir and then added an entire package of spinach. Covered the pot and let it steam for a minute, gave it a toss and then tossed it with the pasta. I topped it with Parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper. Katy was thrilled, she loved it. She immediately named it Farfalle a la Katy. Of course, as my son pointed out, she names everything after herself. Regardless of what we called it, there was none left. She's also a ham in front of the camera! Please pay no attention to the pics. For some reason mine are getting worse and worse. Anyone with ideas for shooting in this low light winter night, please let me know. Farfalle a la Katy

1 package
cherry tomatoes, split and roasted
1 package baby spinach

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/4 cup olive oil olive

Parmesan cheese, for grating

Sea salt

Freshly ground pepper
1 box Farfalle pasta


Cook the pasta until it is al dente. If you use the
De Cecco brand, cook about 12 minutes. (Check out their web site. They have a lot of terrific recipes and ideas.) Drain the pasta reserving a tablespoon of the cooking water.
Toss in a pasta bowl with a gulg of olive oil.

Put the minced garlic, oregano and the olive oil in a large saucepan. I prefer my La Creuset 4 quart saucepan, it's old but reliable.
Turn the heat on under it and when you smell the garlic aroma add the tomatoes.
Give it a few turns with a wooden spoon and then add the spinach. Season with Sat and pepper.
Stir in the reserved pasta water.
Cover the pot and allow to steam for a minute.
Pour half the sauce onto the pasta, grate a little Parmesan cheese over it and toss.
Pour the rest of the sauce over the top add lots more grated cheese and serve.


All photos and text are property of The Gypsy Chef

2 comments:

  1. I think the photo is adorable! So sweet of you to make special dishes for your kids. I don't think your photos look bad at all, but I share your frustration with the winter light, it makes for dreary food shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so modest, the pictures look lovely!! (and of course it's true that, with such subject matters, especially Katy, it can't go wrong!!) I love the idea of this pasta, no wonder Katy is so happy!! In the summer months I would add some fresh basil leaves, but I guess it would be a real luxury during the winter!! Complimenti!

    ReplyDelete